Data Source Creation Overview
Create the data source for your data-driven testing in multiple ways. Testers can upload existing data files/sources from pre-existing data files/sources, or testers can build a data source template based on a Functionize automated test case.
How to Add a New Data Source in the TDM Tab
Select the TDM tab in the navigation menu, once the page loads, a list of previous Data Sources will appear
To add a data source directly from this page, select the Add New Data Source button
Add New Data Source pop-up window will open, enter Data Source Name, select Type (CSV, DB, Excel, JSON or Google Sheet), click File button to select file to upload and then click Submit
The ability to skip a step or mark a step as optional in the Data Source is also available. In the Data Source .csv to be uploaded:
- Suppress a Step, notated as [suppress], indicates the step will not run at all.
- Marking the step as Optional, notated as [optional], will attempt to perform the action, but not trigger a failure if it cannot be done.
How to Connect a Database Table when Adding a Data Source
One of the options on the Add New Data Source pop-up window is to select Type = DB
Complete the following details to set up a DB Data Source:
- Name: name of the Data Source
- Server IP: IP address of your database
- Server Port: Port associated with the database IP address
- Server Type: currently MySQL is supported out-of-the-box, other DB types can be supported with some upfront work
- DB name: Database to connect to for Data Source
- Credentials: Username and Password to connect to Database
- Query: data selection query statement (table, column, etc.)
- Click Submit
When complete, you can attach this data to actions as you would with any other type of Data Source
Note: This is not a live connection to your database. Please resubmit this query to capture new data.
Data Source Actions
Actions available to perform on your Data Sources
Edit TDM: Download Current Data Source File, Change to upload a new file, or edit the Name of the Data Source
View Listings : View the test cases mapped to the Data Source
Download Datasource : Download the Current or Original Datasource File
Delete : If the Data Source is currently mapped to any tests, you'll be prompted to confirm the deletion
Encrypt : Encrypt the value of any column in the Data Source
Note: Encrypting a value in a Data Source is a permanent change.
Create a Data Source for Auto Mapping
Functionize offers you a template to create data sources specifically for Auto Mapping your data to your specific automated test.
From the Test Details page of your test case, click the TDM Sample download button
Two options will populate on the dropdown selection:
- Download Template
Download Selected Template
A Download Selected CSV or Download Select XLS labels will appear along with check boxes to select the Actions for the template - this option is used for customizable selections, meaning there are specific steps to be parameterized - not every single step of the test
- Select All customizable Actions with the top check box, select by Instruction, or select Actions individually
- Cancel by clicking the icon in the label
- A Download Selected CSV or Download Select XLS labels will appear along with check boxes to select the Actions for the template - this option is used for customizable selections, meaning there are specific steps to be parameterized - not every single step of the test
Once Action(s) are selected, the Tester can click the CSV or XLS label, a .csv or .xlsx file named TestDataSource containing all (or selected test Actions) will download, the columns will correspond to the Actions in the test that were selected to be mapped
Note: Do not change the column names or the Data Source will not Auto Map.
Add data rows as needed in the provided columns
Note: If a column has a blank value, the attribute mapped will be set to "blank". Some examples would be adding multiple URLs, emails, or names (or whatever the data may be for a particular test case). Mapping a column is optional and can be skipped entirely.
Note: When all data is entered in the file, save it. Remember to save the file in one of the accepted formats: CSV, Excel, DB, or JSON. The name of the file itself will not affect Mapping.
Learn more about Auto and Manual mapping test data >> here.