Create the Data Source for your Data-Driven Testing in multiple ways.
How to Add a New Data Source in the TDM Tab
Select the TDM tab in the navigation menu. Once the page loads, a list of previous data sources will populate.
To add a data source directly from this page, select the Add New Data Source button .
Add New Data Source popup window will open.
Follow the Add New Data Source instructions in the previous section above to complete the upload, then click Submit.
The ability to skip a step or mark a step as optional in the Data Source is also available. In the Data Source .csv to be uploaded:
- Suppress a Step, notated as [suppress], indicates the step will not run at all.
- Marking the step as Optional, notated as [optional], will attempt to perform the action, but not trigger a failure if it cannot be done.
How to Connect a Database Table when Adding a Data Source
One of the options when adding a New Data Source is to select DB as the File Type.
In this new window, fill out:
- Name - The name of the Data Source
- Server IP - The IP address of your database
- Server Port - The port associated with the database IP address.
- Server Type - Currently MySQL is supported
- DB name - The database to which you're connecting.
- Credentials - Username and password to your database.
- Query - Your data selection query (table, column, etc.)
When complete, you can attach this data to actions as you would with any other type of Data Source. NOTE: This is not a live connection to your database. Please resubmit this query to capture new data.
Data Source Actions
Actions available to perform on your Data Sources
Edit data source: Download the current file, Upload a new file, or Edit the name of the Data Source.
Test case listings: View the test cases mapped with this Data Source.
Download: Download the Current or Original data source file.
Delete data source: If the Data Source is currently mapped to any tests, you'll be prompted to confirm the deletion.
Encrypt value: Encrypt the value of any column in the Data Source.
Create a Data Source for Auto Mapping
Functionize offers you a template to create data sources specifically for Auto Mapping your data to your specific test.
From the Test Details page of your test case, click the TDM Sample download button.
Two options will populate on the dropdown selection:
- Download Template
- Download Selected Template
- A Download Selected label will appear along with check boxes to select the actions for the template. This option is used for customizable selections, meaning there are specific steps to be parameterized - not every single step of the test.
- Select All customizable Actions with the top check box, select by Instruction, or select Actions individually.
- Cancel by clicking the X in the label.
Once an option is selected, a .csv file named TestDataSource containing all (or selected test information) will download. The columns will correspond to the Actions in the test to be mapped. Do not change the column names or the Source will not Auto Map.
Add data as needed in the provided columns.
NOTE: If a column has a blank value, the attribute mapped will be set to "blank". Some examples would be adding multiple URLs, emails, or names (or whatever the data may be for a particular test case). Mapping a column is optional and can be skipped entirely.
When all data is entered in the file, save it. Remember to save the file in one of the accepted formats: CSV, Excel, DB, or JSON. The name of the file itself will not affect Mapping.
Learn more about Auto and Manual mapping in this User Guide.