The Architect can be used to generate random test data, including fully functional email addresses and date formats that can be checked as part of a test case. This functionality makes it easy to test many use cases, including form fills, user signups, password resets, and marketing email automation.
Generating random data is an advanced action that can be accessed by clicking the plus (+) icon next to "Type instructions" in Architect. Then click Generate Data.
From the menu, select the data type to generate. Based on the selection made, appropriate data parameters will display.
Generate a Random Email
- Click Email. A random email address output example will display. Only one email address per test case will be generated by this function. If multiple steps use generate data with Email, the email will be the same across a single test case.
NOTE: The random email address generated will always be a 'functionizeapp.com' email address.
- Click Set Target. Architect will minimize for you to click the input field where you wish the email entered.
- The selected field will populate with the generated email address. See more information on the Functionize Email Reader Tool.
Generate a Date
- Click Date. The default date format is MM/DD/YYYY. Other date formats are available to support commonly used date formats in various countries as follows: DD/MM/YYYY, YYYY/MM/DD, MM/DD/YY, and DD/MM/YY. These other date formats are accessible by clicking the drop down menu under Date Format.
- Select the desired Date Format and Date Delimiter
- By default, the date generated will be the current date. To alter the date, Select Days, Months, or Years from the drop down menu. Set the Add/Subtract switch to the preferred direction. Enter the number of days, months, or years to advance or reverse the date in the Number field.
- Click Set Target when ready. Architect will minimize for you to select the input field for your generated date.